As a top health and fitness editor and best-selling author, Adam Bornstein came on the show to share what it means to be ‘Alpha,’ and how being bulletproof is possible for everyone. In this episode, Adam and I talk about our shared egg obsession, whether cheat days are helpful or harmful, and how mental barriers keep you from achieving the best version of yourself. You will even get a glimpse into the workings of mainstream media, research, and health journalism.
Adam Bornstein is a biohacking, solutions oriented machine! Adam has been named “one of the most influential people in health.” He’s a long time health and fitness writer and editor for magazines like Men’s Health and Livestrong, and best-selling author of four fitness books, including his most recent book “Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha: A Real World Guide to an Unreal Life: Build More Muscle. Burn More Fat. Have More Sex”
Did you know you could receive a free copy of the Bulletproof® Diet, the Bulletproof® Shopping Guide, and much more by entering your email address in the box on the right side of this page?
What You Will Hear
- 1:45 – Deciding what is important and the ‘minimum effective dose’
- 3:45 – Is your natural state already superhuman? Mental barriers?
- 6:30 – The most important thing Adam has learned as head health editor
- 8:00 – Using different paths to achieve similar goals
- 9:05 – Perceptions, barriers, and Bulletproof® Coffee
- 10:50 – Being Alpha – Undoing things you’ve done wrong
- 12:20 – Don’t be afraid to question yourself
- 13:00 – Overreacting in the short-term and underreacting in the long-term
- 14:25 – How health research and perceptions changed over the years
- 15:40 – The ‘phase style’ approach
- 17:00 – At what point is our research reliable? At what point is it valid?
- 18:25 – New accessibility of health research and opinions
- 20:00 – Mainstream media – is health journalism going to change?
- 21:45 – How headlines force people to jump to conclusions
- 23:40 – The power of the question mark, curiosity, and fear
- 25:30 – The need for social responsibility
- 27:50 – Adam’s egg obsession
- 28:55 – Say goodbye to the “healthy food=high price” excuse
- 29:50 – “Get some” ice cream
- 31:50 – Can cheat days help you hurdle psychological barriers?
- 33:30 – Food cravings, psychological benefits, and dieting
- 35:20 – Cheat Days: hurtful or helpful?
- 37:20 – Adam’s one-on-one approach with clients
- 38:50 – Why healthy food & delicious taste go hand-in-hand
- 41:00 – Kellogg’s & Graham’s attempt to kill libido
- 42:00 – Embrace your ego
- 43:30 – Positive reinforcement & the fundamental attribution error
- 45:45 – Ego, fear, greed, and confidence
- 47:20 – How to internalize and actualize your life goals
- 48:25 – Accountability = Manliness
- 49:30 – Top 3 recommendations to be more Bulletproof
Links From The Show
For Your Own Research
Questions for the podcast?
Leave your questions and responses in the comments section below so I can answer them in the next podcast.
Please do me the courtesy of leaving a ranking in iTunes. It helps more people find the show!