Mental Strength Hacks for Everyone – Amy Morin #579
By: Dave Asprey
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, instead of suggesting another “to-do” list, we’re looking at “to-don’t” lists. That’s right, subtracting things from your likely already-too-full life in order to make room for more ways you can be mentally strong, happy and successful.
Amy Morin is the bestselling author of three books about “13 Things” you don’t want to do that can actually increase your mental strength and help you perform optimally at everything you do. She’s a licensed clinical social worker, psychotherapist, and psychology professor who shared her own life story of adversity and becoming mentally strong in a TEDx talk (record-setting views), then a blog post (went viral), then three books on the subject—for people, for parents, for women.
A few of the “13 Things” discussed in today’s episode include:
- How to recognize when you’re the only guest at your own pity party;
- How to know when your risk-taking isn’t based on logic;
- How to embrace vulnerability; and
- How gender constructs of strength are often culture-specific.
And the biggie for everyone? Power. “Taking back your power is about acknowledging that you’re in control of your time, you’re in control of how you think, how you feel, and how you behave,” Amy says.
If you want to learn the single most important thing that mentally strong people don’t do, listen to this episode.
Follow Along with the Transcript
The Mask of Masculinity by Lewis Howes maskofmasculinity.com
- How do you frame your work in “how not to do?” 00:04:50
- Feeling bad can be healing, to a point 00:10:35
- How to know that you calculated a risk properly 00:13:40
- Kids these days don’t know how to be bored or alone 00:20:45
- Google a list of emotions and put a name to how you are feeling today 00:23:05
- Learning when to break rules 00:34:50
- Don’t expect immediate results 00:41:35
- Big Ideas:
- Some of the 13 things that make you mentally strong 00:08:50
- Why you shouldn’t make your kids the centre of the universe 00:17:20
- The difference between men and women and how they view their skills 00:27:45
- Giving and taking compliments 00:29:15
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.