You Can’t Instagram Health: Evolving with Chalene Johnson #623
By: Dave Asprey
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, my guest is a lifestyle and business expert, motivational speaker, and host of two top-ranked podcasts: “The Chalene Show” and “Build Your Tribe.” The Huffington Post has recognized Chalene Johnson as one of the “Top 50 Female Entrepreneurs to Watch.” She’s also sold millions of fitness videos and is The Guinness Book of World Records-holder for being featured in the highest number of fitness videos.
After years of success in the fitness industry, a shocking health scare prompted her to question her whole approach to wellness—her own and others’. “It didn’t dawn on me the damage I was doing to my brain and how that isn’t health,” she says. “That was abuse.”
And now, with the help of top dietitians, doctors, researchers and experts, she’s turning the diet industry upside down. “I realize I have to be really open minded now to science and open minded to the fact that we just are learning so much more every single day—and it’s exciting.” She’s founded the 131 Method and written a new book by the same name, “131 Method: Your Personalized Nutrition Solution to Boost Metabolism, Restore Gut Health, and Lose Weight.”
“I am evolved,” Chalene says. “And I have to keep my integrity. And that’s not always easy. But if you just stay focused on what you know and what you believe is right and you just keep taking the next right step, those decisions get a little easier.”
In my conversation with Chalene, we tackle lies in the fitness industry, shady marketing tactics and smart consumers, personalized nutrition, Keto for women, phases of fasting, why achieving health can be fraught with privilege, and more.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
Book: “131 Method: Your Personalized Nutrition Solution to Boost Metabolism, Restore Gut Health, and Lose Weight” 131method.com
- Removing photos from online 00:05:10
- What happens to women who get elite athlete abs 00:07:00
- Making the right decision is hard when you’re on top 00:20:50
- Don’t fall prey to “fame = integrity” 00:24:35
- Give yourself permission to rest 00:48:00
- “I never thought it would be a good idea to sleep in an hour” 00:50:10
- Health is not something you can photograph on Instagram 01:01:10
- Good health is an economic privilege 01:03:50
- Bigger Ideas:
- How following the norm actually hurt Chalene’s wellness 00:03:20
- The importance of a good body image 00:08:45
- A thank you message from someone who was harmed by the videos 00:13:20
- Chalene’s health scare 00:15:00
- The importance of being authentic 00:22:05
- What are the “Four S’s” and why? 00:28:30
- Creating good food rules for your kids 00:32:20
- Why telling someone they are eating wrong is so difficult 00:41:30
- What upsets people about Chalene’s new outlook 00:47:10
- Celebrating busyness 00:49:30
- Women and Keto 00:51:20
- Chalene fasted though putting on a 3-day conference 00:56:30
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.