Sleep Need & Sleep Age: Find Out Yours – Dan Gartenberg, Ph.D. #583
Dan Gartenberg, Ph.D., wants you to sleep better, so he’s conducted research and developed technology based on the science of sound, light, temperature, and relaxation to help you do just that. “By more accurately measuring sleep, based on your sleep stage, there are ways of enhancing your deep sleep in real time while you’re sleeping through sound or temperature stimulation,” he says.
Dan, aka Dr. Snooze, is the co-founder and CEO of Sonic Sleep and also an adjunct assistant professor at Penn State University. With a background in cognitive psychology and expertise in sleep, A.I., and preventive health, he has spent most of his career focused on improving sleep health.
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, you’ll learn:
- why “sleep need” includes both quantity and quality;
- how you can discover your “sleep age;”
- what you can do to get more out of your sleep; and
- which sleep hacks really work.
Follow Along with the Transcript
Website: sonicsleepcoach.com and danielgartenberg.com
Instagram: @sonicsleepcoach and @doctor.snooze
Twitter: @sonicsleepcoach and @dangartenberg
TED talk: The brain benefits of deep sleep — and how to get more of it
Giulio Tononi http://centerforsleepandconsciousness.med.wisc.edu/people/tononi.html
Dr. Michael Breus, “The Power of When” https://thepowerofwhen.com
True Dark https://truedark.com
- Sleep needs aren’t just individual, they are inter-individual 00:06:15
- What “sleep age” is 00:17:10
- The first night effect 00:26:15
- At the end of the da,y the brain’s connections are just electrical circuits 00:33:30
- How to use light to improve sleep 00:44:45
- Trying to create sleep habitats 00:47:25
- Big Ideas:
- Why sleep is such a complicated and personal thing to measure 00:07:30
- Sleep and Alzheimer’s 00:10:30
- The main reason why we sleep 00:21:00
- The ways to use sound to improve sound 00:23:30
- The cortisol awakening response 00:38:05
- Targeted memory activation 00:42:10
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.