Mastering Brain Waves and Creating Mind Bridges – Dawson Church – #653
By: Dave Asprey
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, I’m at the Beverly Hilton in L.A. with my good friend Dawson Church, Ph.D. Today we’re going to dive into brain wave—what they are, why their frequencies are important and what they do in various emotional states, from stress to meditation.
You’ll find out how brain growth is influenced by “the power of our behavior, of our beliefs, of our practices, of our spiritual practices, of our emotional states on our brains,” Dawson says. “We are reshaping our brains with every thought we think, with every emotion we feel, with every meditation session we do.”
Some background you should know about Dawson: He’s an expert tapper—not of the dancing kind, but rather the emotional freedom technique kind. (EFT for short.) He’s also been on Bulletproof Radio before. In episode 474, we talked about all things tapping and he led me through an EFT session on that podcast. He has conducted dozens of clinical trials and founded the National Institute for Integrative Healthcare to promote groundbreaking new treatments. He’s studied the effects of meditation on the brain and tapping as a technique to help people heal from physical, emotional and mental challenges.
As an award-winning author and researcher, his book “The Genie in Your Genes” linked emotions and genetics. His follow-up book, “Mind to Matter” examined the science of peak mental states. We discuss his forthcoming book, “Bliss Brain,” and the surprising science of the brain he discovered in his research and study of brain waves.
“One of the big mysteries of neuroscience for decades was that the brain activity doesn’t fluctuate by more than 5% up or down, day or night,” he says. “When you relax, your brain doesn’t relax. Your brain activity just stays at the same high level.” … “When you’re not doing a task, the brain sees all this unused spare capacity and it says, “Great. Let’s grab this.” And it grabs it to such a consistent degree that we call that the default mode network.”
Listen on to learn more about brain activity and the fascinating way it bridges your consciousness.
*This episode contains a mini session guided by Dawson that is a allows you to quickly access an altered state of consciousness.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
Books by Dawson: dawsonchurch.com/books/
EFT Universe: eftuniverse.com
Mind to Matter: mindtomatter.com
National Institute for Integrative Healthcare: niih.org
Bulletproof Radio: TAP INTO TAPPING: THE EFT EPISODE – DAWSON CHURCH # 474
Dave Asprey Blog: HOW TO USE TAPPING (EFT) FOR ANXIETY AND STRESS
- How we are breeding our own brains in various ways 00:04:40
- The brain works the same as a bicep 00:06:50
- “That’s the saddest face I have ever seen” 00:08:30
- Acceptance of meditation has come a long way in the last 10 years 00:09:45
- You need to know your current state and where you want it to go 00:12:00
- What your brain does when it has spare capacity 00:15:50
- How can we make our default mode do good things 00:20:15
- What are delta brain waves? 00:24:40
- What happens in the theta state in the brain? 00:28:50
- The brain waves of shamans 00:31:15
- Alpha brain waves 00:33:20
- The latest research on gamma brain waves 00:37:55
- Hurry and meditate faster! 00:39:20
- The relationship between trauma and gamma brain waves 00:47:30
- The “four-minute” meditation 00:58:35
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.