What the Heck Should I Cook, Dr. Hyman? – #637
By: Dave Asprey
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, my guest is Dr. Mark Hyman, a practicing family physician, a New York Times bestselling author, and an internationally recognized leader, speaker, educator, and expert in the field of health and nutrition. Dr. Hyman also is the director of the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine, the founder and medical director of The UltraWellness Center, and chairman of the board of the Institute for Functional Medicine.
He works with individuals and organizations, as well as policy makers and influencers, to improve health for everyone. He’s such an advocate for human wellness, I’ve had him on the show three times before. In every interview, he brings new findings and profound wisdom to our listeners.
That’s especially true this time. He’s fired up and wants you to be, too: “If people just got off the crap and started eating real food, and literally unplugged from the industrial food system, their health would dramatically improve,” Dr. Hyman says. “We would reverse climate change. We would end social injustice and poverty. We’d have money enough for free education, and free healthcare for everybody, and can support the neediest among us with no effort, and have lots of money left over to do cool stuff and create new science, and solve all the world’s problems just by cooking at home.”
He is dedicated to tackling the root causes of chronic disease while empowering people, organizations, and communities to heal their bodies and minds, and improve social and economic resilience.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
The Doctor’s Farmacy podcast: drhyman.com/podcast/
The Doctor’s Farmacy #7 with Dave Asprey: drhyman.com/podcast/#lightbox/10/
Bulletproof Radio: #533 Why Disrupting Big Food Matters
Bulletproof Radio: #288 Meat is the New Ketchup
Bulletproof Radio: #144 The Dangers of Fructose
- Using heroin in low doses for anti-ageing 00:03:10
- If Americans started eating whole foods, the world would change 00:06:25
- The invention of Betty Crocker 00:07:40
- Why Graham Crackers were invented 00:09:20
- Learning how to cook is not that hard 00:10:20
- Disrupting the convenience factor of food 00:12:05
- The Dalai Lama is particular with who prepares his food 00:17:00
- We unfairly blamed cows for global warming 00:19:50
- Animals eat stuff that we can’t eat 00:22:20
- Eat less meat 00:23:45
- The idea or “pegan” (paleo + vegan) 00:24:20
- What food mistakes are most people making? 00:25:30
- Dave’s kids make one dinner per week 00:26:50
- How to prepare food without a kitchen 00:27:50
- Buying an entire cow is cheap 00:30:20
- The science of regenerative agriculture 00:31:20
- The problems with today’s food policies 00:32:20
- The catch 22 of food marketing regulations 00:35:50
- The corrupt people who oversee food regulation in the USA 00:37:10
- The latest frightening study on glyphosate is multigenerational 00:38:10
- Big Food execs don’t want to hurt people 00:40:30
- Hyman’s 5 Worst Foods 00:42:50
- Which part of dairy is the problem part? 00:44:05
- Why you should eat watermelon radish 00:48:10
- “The smartest doctor in the room is your own body” 00:49:25
- Are fish still healthy in 2019? 00:50:20
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.