The Hack is to Feel the Pain – Dr. Michael Gervais #561
By: Dave Asprey
As a high-performance psychologist, Michael Gervais, Ph.D. works in the trenches of high-stakes environments, where there is no luxury for mistakes, hesitation or failure to respond. He works individually and with groups of high-profile people from every major sport, Olympians, Fortune 100 CEOs, as well as internationally acclaimed artists and musicians.
Michael is the co-founder of Compete to Create, a joint venture with Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll, which has built a framework to enhance high-performance cultures by focusing on mindset training for individuals.
Ultimately, Mike’s goal is to unpack, then decode how the greatest performers in the world use their minds to pursue the boundaries of human potential. To accelerate that aim, he has curated conversations with those who have dedicated their lives to becoming the best in his podcast Finding Mastery.
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, we talk about how mindset influences performance, why Mike considers himself a “curious Adventurepreneur” and why he disagrees with “hacking.”
Follow Along with the Transcript
- Michael Gervais: https://www.facebook.com/gervaisphd
- Finding Mastery: https://www.facebook.com/findingmastery/
- Compete to Create: https://www.facebook.com/competetocreate/
- Finding Mastery: https://twitter.com/michaelgervais
- Compete to Create: https://twitter.com/CompetetoCreate
- Michael Gervais: https://www.instagram.com/michaelgervais/
- Finding Mastery: https://www.instagram.com/findingmastery/
- Compete to Create: https://www.instagram.com/competetocreate/
- Finding Mastery: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSZrR-KiOLjUPbhPoPYCxNQ/featured
- Compete to Create: https://www.youtube.com/user/winforever
- The word “hack” conjures up a short-cut 00:11:05
- People change because of pain 00:14:50
- The best thinkers and doers in the world know how to handle stress 00:16:10
- The “do more to be more” model is coming to an end 00:21:30
- Some people have high thresholds for pain and others don’t 00:34:20
- The most powerful instrument in the world is our brain and our mind 00:48:45
- Bigger ideas:
- A systematic desensitizing is important 00:07:30
- Why does Mike have a problem with “hacks” 00:10:30
- How to overcome your genes 00:20:15
- Mike’s Game Changing moment 00:23:10
- We need to line up our thoughts, words and actions 00:38:45
- The six stages of performance 00:52:50
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.