In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, I’m talking to a guest who by all outward appearances had it all. A member of the “one-percent,” Gerard Powell made his millions from creating and selling multiple companies. But his life was a mess in many ways, and he battled multiple addictions.
In his new book, “Sh*t the Moon Said: A Story of Sex, Drugs, and Transformation,” he says, “My many addictions during those years—drugs, alcohol, sex—were certainly destructive to myself and damaging to the people around me. But if there was anything good about that behavior, it would be the fact that I was seeking a different state of consciousness. I was seeking it in all the wrong places, but at least I was a seeker.”
Through plant medicine he mapped a psycho-spiritual path that helped him overcome his addictions and achieve lasting peace. Today, Gerard shares his journey and life-changing experience with ayahuasca—as well as how he now brings what he’s learned to others.
Gerard now is a consciousness thought-leader, entrepreneur, philanthropist, and inspirational speaker. He is the founder and CEO of Rythmia Life Advancement Center in Costa Rica, which is a go-to destination for a spiritually awakening experience.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
Sh*t the Moon Said
- Gerry had a “very bad start” in life 00:06:45
- How Gerry used plant medicine to heal 00:15:55
- Does Gerry worry about mind control aspect of these drugs? 00:20:00
- People can go crazy from meditation 00:21:30
- Having visions during breathwork versus plant medicine 00:23:4
- How do you come back from a trip like this? 00:25:00
- Why Gerry doesn’t vote 00:30:30
- How do you know you are “merging with your soul?” 00:32:15
- What the skeptical science minds say about shamanic practices 00:34:00
- You don’t have to do drugs! 00:38:30
- The relationship between addiction and trauma 00:42:00
- The breathwork that Gerry does 00:46:20
- Is this really happening or is it a placebo? 00:49:30
- What are “machine elves” 00:54:20
- Do people like what they find when they do this work? 00:57:45
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.