Not-So-Science Fiction: Extending Your Healthspan Gets Real – James Clement #608
By: Dave Asprey
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, I take a deep dive into my favorite topics—anti-aging and longevity—with James Clement, who is leading research and groundbreaking developments in these areas from a particularly personal perspective.
A self-described transhumanist, he’s now is the president and director of Betterhumans, the world’s first specifically-transhumanist bio-medical research organization. James’ view of longevity is focused on healthspan and the humane aspect of being human over the long haul. He doesn’t want to cheat death, he wants to extend life in the best way possible.
James has an interesting backstory as a former international tax lawyer who became an entrepreneur and then a scientist. He’s currently running anti-aging clinical trials and engaged in anti-aging molecular biology research with top science researchers. He participates in the clinical trials, too.
Join us as we talk about the current science biggies: senolytics, NAD, exosomes and rapamycin, and what makes supercentarians so super.
“There are two simultaneous things that we have to do to live longer,” James says, “and I divide it up as first we have to get to 100. Getting to 100 is, for those of us who weren’t lucky enough to inherit supercentenarian genomes, it means doing everything we can in our lifestyle to live longer.”
“And then the idea of ‘how are we going to live beyond 100?’” he continues, “There’s going to be a lot more that we have to do and that’s going to be where more radical therapies, which include nutraceuticals, pharmaceuticals, lifestyle changes, but also genome editing, will all be necessary to get us far beyond the 100 threshold.”
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
- Health span vs. life span 00:06:00
- What are we going to when we cure aging? 00:07:55
- What is a “gene gun”? 00:20:10
- How do you find a doctor to help with this stuff? 00:54:30
- “It’s hard to find a scientist who will tell you that evolution has optimized us” 00:57:25
- Bigger Ideas:
- What James learned about genes and longevity 00:14:45
- Do you see a time when people will get these procedures regularly? 00:23:45
- Removing lead from your body as anti-aging 00:24:45
- Is this only for rich people? 00:26:00
- Exosomes 00:28:10
- What happens when you get a litre of plasma? 00:38:55
- Are telomere measurements meaningful? 00:40:40
- What NAD did for James 00:44:00
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.