Fast Fitness! 40 Seconds, 3 Times a Week – Lance Dalleck, Ph.D. – #657
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, my guest is Lance Dalleck, Ph.D., a professor of Exercise and Sport Science at Western Colorado University in Gunnison, Colorado.
Lance’s research validates the science behind CAR.O.L. FIT AI, a game-changing exercise bike that delivers peak fitness in just 40 seconds. And you don’t even have to break a sweat.
He shares some interesting findings that support the effectiveness of high-intensity interval training on the CAR.O.L. bike, an AI-powered, interactive exercise bike with self-learning algorithms. CAR.O.L. stands for CARdiovascular Optimization Logic. You may remember that I talked with the CAR.O.L. FIT AI co-founders on episode #615 of Bulletproof Radio about how to hack your cardiovascular system with the CAR.O.L.
“With a 20-second sprint, you’re increasing your energy demand above rest substantially,” Lance says. “That’s a severe disruption to your homeostasis. And as a result of that, you’re putting in motion a variety of upregulation of metabolic pathways that allow you to provide energy that will regenerate ATP so that you can keep sprinting for 20 seconds. And the research is pretty clear that we’ve identified that minimum time that turns on these pathways, 20 seconds, two bouts a day, and that’s sufficient.”
Lance teaches in both the Exercise and Sport Science and High-Altitude Exercise Physiology programs. He researches primary and secondary prevention of chronic diseases through evidence-based interventions like exercise and nutrition and quantifies the energy expenditure of outdoor and non-traditional types of physical activity. His research into CAR.O.L. culminated in a paper published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health: “Reduced Exertion High-Intensity Interval Training is More Effective at Improving Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Cardiometabolic Health than Traditional Moderate-Intensity Continuous Training.”
Lance has published more than 100 peer-reviewed articles, delivered 30 conference proceedings, and written 10 book chapters. He is on the Scientific Advisory Panel for the American Council on Exercise.
Enjoy the show!
**Special Offer for Bulletproof Radio Listeners**
To receive $150 off your purchase of a CAR.O.L FIT AI-powered, interactive exercise bike, enter promo code “DAVE” at checkout.
Follow Along with the Transcript
Bulletproof Radio: Cut Your Cardio To 9 Minutes – CAR.O.L FIT AI – #615
- Why focus on high-altitude research? 00:05:05
- The benefits of HIF1a and what it does in our bodies 00:06:10
- How to get the benefits without sleeping in an altitude tent 00:08:20
- When to use heat and exercise 00:09:20
- How does CAR.O.L. FIT AI work and why does it work? 00:12:00
- Why nine minutes instead of four? 00:15:05
- What were the parameters of the testing? 00:17:05
- Is there a benefit to exercising longer? 00:19:35
- How CAR.O.L. uses AI to create a better workout 00:23:00
- How this works, physiologically 00:25:05
- More isn’t better, for AMPK 00:27:45
- Caffeine and HIIT workouts 00:28:45
- Can you build muscle with CAR.O.L.? 00:31:00
- What’s the issue with commercial HIIT classes? 00:33:00
- Exercise is inflammatory 00:39:20
- Is overtraining a common issue? 00:40:15
- The EPOC Phenomenon 00:44:15
- What is the “wear and tear” of this type of workout? 0048:35
- HIIT done properly doesn’t have a higher risk of cardiac events 00:50:45
- What do people have wrong about exercise? 00:56:10
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.