Meditation is the Ultimate Rest Hack – Light Watkins #580
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, we get real with Light Watkins about meditation and why it’s so hard to get your body and your thoughts comfortable doing it. You’ll learn there’s no “right” way and no “wrong” way to meditate—just the way that works for you and keeps you coming back to it.
Light has been immersed in the meditation space for nearly two decades, first as a practitioner, then as an apprentice to his Vedic Meditation teacher, and finally as a teacher himself. But in the beginning, he spent several years sitting in uncomfortable positions with whirling thoughts and feeling like he was failing at meditation. He couldn’t settle his body or his mind.
He had to find his own sweet spot of comfort: “When I did that, it completely upgraded the quality of my experiences, and that’s where I first had the tangible experience of bliss,” he says. And you can, too. Light explains how to put meditation in your life’s “rest” category, so it becomes both relatable and a practical application.
Another life category that’s a feature of today’s podcast is happiness. Light travels the world giving talks on happiness, inspiration, and meditation, as well as leading meditation training and retreats. He’s been featured in major media, taught celebrity clients and written two popular books. So, prepare to get comfy—with meditation and happiness—and learn how to incorporate more of both into your life.
Follow Along with the Transcript
- The Inner Gym: A 30-Day Workout For Strengthening Happiness (2014)
- Bliss More: How To Succeed In Meditation Without Really Trying (2018)
The Shine Movement:
- Meditation is more about rest 00:09:00
- Driving sleep is legal even though it is worse than being drunk 00:11:25
- Meditating through a date 00:17:30
- India is the opposite of the west 00:23:25
- The story of the boy saving the starfish 00:25:15
- Social media makes it look like we aren’t making as big an impact as others 00:26:15
- Is tech a perversion of meditation? 00:35:10
- Jogging instead of sprinting 00:41:20
- Keep exploring and you will find what you need 00:47:45
- Big Ideas:
- Yoga teachers don’t learn about meditation 00:05:00
- What learning to meditate was like for Light 00:19:30
- The difference between bliss and happiness 00:30:50
- Seasoned vs. new meditator behaviours 00:51:50
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.