Under Attack: The Evolution of Ancestral Nutrition – Nora Gedgaudas #594
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, Dave is live at PaleoFX with Nora Gedgaudas, an internationally acclaimed keto and ancestrally based nutrition specialist and author who has dedicated her career to combating “diseases of civilization,” such as cancer, metabolic disorders, mood disorders, and cognitive decline.
Known as one of the early adopters of the low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet, Nora combines extensive research with evolutionary physiology, biochemistry, metabolism, nutrition, and chronic and degenerative disease for mind-body health and longevity.
- On Digestion: “Our digestive system is far more similar to carnivores than it is herbivores,” Nora says. “We don’t have a fermented base digestive system. Only 20% of our digestive system is devoted to fermentation. We have a hydrochloric acid-based digestive system. We are designed to derive nutrients from animals that have synthesized these nutrients for us. We don’t have any possible means of optimizing the extraction of nutrients from plants.”
Frustrated with what she’s seen happening within the paleo and ketogenic movements, she created her own term: Primalgenic®. Her newest work is based on 12 pillars, in which she’s combined more than two decades of knowledge of our ancestral roots and modern science to create an optimized nutritional approach to health and well-being.
- On Carbs: “None of us are really designed to handle high amounts of carbohydrates,” Nora says. “We’re just not. There’s no scientifically established human dietary requirement for carbohydrate.”
Nora’s combined areas of expertise include being a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, a board-certified Holistic Nutrition consultant, a board-certified clinical Neurofeedback Specialist, and a Certified Gluten Practitioner. She maintains a private practice in Portland, Oregon.
- On Wellness: “I’ve worked with suffering people for over two decades now,” Nora says. “So much of it is unnecessary. And I think people are being victimized by misinformation and disinformation and predatory advertising and all kinds of crap. I’m really, really committed to making sure that people get good information that can make a measurable difference in the way that they feel and function in this world.”
From food label laws to interesterified fat to “settled” science and angry vegans, you don’t want to miss this episode. (And don’t miss Nora’s guest column on the Bulletproof Blog.)
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
The Primalgenic® Plan: A Three-Week, Meal-By-Meal Total Health Transformation.
Primal Body Primal Mind Blog: primalbody-primalmind.com/blog/
Bulletproof Radio: Nora Gedgaudas: Food For Consciousness – #136
- The brain and the body need certain raw materials in order to function 00:06:40
- Settled Science is an oxymoron 00:15:40
- Uncompromised dietary quality 00:23:00
- The diet that the Hadza eat now is not traditional 00:27:00
- High fat and high sugar together is like a lit fuse on a powder keg 00:29:40
- I eat more veggies than most vegetarians and vegans do 00:32:25
- We have ad digestive system optimized for meat. not veggies 00:34:35
- Bigger Ideas:
- Where is the anger coming from in the Keto community? 00:08:20
- What is sympathetic over-arousal? 00:09:30
- Why Paleo and Keto will be co-opted 00:11:45
- CEOs of big companies aren’t evil 00:17:40
- Why Nora doesn’t trust the big companies to do that right thing 00:20:35
- The importance of getting food from good sources 00:24:35
- Just because our ancestors did something doesn’t mean we should do it 00:40:35
- What we are wired for, as a species, are tangible threats 00:41:30
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.