Dr. Rocky Patel: Hacking your Heart & Preventing Diabetes
Dr. Patel is a Bulletproof Physician. He is a family physician whose practice is focused on the prevention, early detection and treatment of Diabetes and Heart Attack. He knows his stuff, he lost over 85 lbs practicing what he preaches. He uses Bulletproof diet principles in treating patients in his practice at risk for or who have developed diabetes and/or cardiovascular disease.
In addition, he is the chief medical officer for Heart Fit for Duty, providing similar services to the first responder community. For those of you interested in WellnessFx in Arizona, he is a WellnessFX practitioner and his family medical practice is based in Gilbert Arizona.
What We Cover
- How eating more of certain saturated fats and red meat is actually good for you
- The differences between type I diabetes, being pre-diabetic, and the stages of type 2 diabetes
- What are your thoughts on why the ADA advocates eating fruit, whole grains, non-fat dairy and other? And what have you seen in your practice as to what works and what doesn’t regarding preventing and treating diabetes?
- How Dr. Patel helps people being diagnosed as pre-diabetic, or type II diabetic, and what you can do
- The root causes of this disease
- Myths about cholesterol and heart disease, what factors are more important for prevention
- Reducing inflammation
- What role does mental health, or attitude play in heart attack?
- Testing and bio-markers
- Is it possible to have too much saturated fat?
- Thoughts on CES machines and other biohacking tools
- What are you top three recommendations for someone who wants to be as powerful and high performance in all aspects of life?
Links From the Show
Dr. Patel’s Info
My Fitness Pal (my username: drrcpatel)
Q & A Related Links
Other products mentioned:
A review of the latest research to help you achieve the Bulletproof state of high performance.
Paradoxical sleep deprivation induces muscle atrophy – From The Federal University in Sao Palo Brazil
Critical points of Brazil nuts: a beginning for food safety, quality control and Amazon sustainability – From the Journal of Food Science and Agriculture
Shout out to Joe Rogan, Brian Redban, Deathsquad and Taitimus Maximus. Thanks Tait for putting me on Joe’s radar. The show was a blast, we covered a ton of stuff. We had an awesome volunteer, Zack, transcribe the show, which is now in the Bulletproof Toolbox.
Humanity+ I’ll be speaking at this conference in San Francisco December 1st & 2nd. The ‘Humanity+ Conference’ an unprecedented opportunity to engage with today’s leading experts on emerging technologies and trends that will change the way we live. The conference will explore the important ethical and philosophical dimensions of upgrading humanity through technology – whilst sharing the very latest scientific and technological breakthroughs. For details, visit http://humanityplus.org/. My topic will be “The Augmented Author: Technologies to Upgrade People Who Write”
The Bulletproof Conference: Biohack Your Life: Those of you who saw the announcement and signed up for the early notification list have already received your early-bird emails, if you haven’t, check your spam box. General registration is open. We’ve had a few inquiries from people for whom the conference is out of budget, and we will open up the 3rd day of speakers, that will also include some demos, and while awesome, is just not the same as the first 2 days with Jay and I. I expect an over-subscribed conference based on interest so far. This is the only conference like it anywhere where you get access to hands-on biohacking led by world-class people. To hell with learning about biohacking. This is about actually *doing* it.
PaleoFX I’m pleased to have been invited to speak at the second annual PaleoFX Symposium in Austin, TX, March 28-30, 2013. I’m looking forward to meeting awesome speakers like Sarah Fragoso, Nora Gedgaudas, Kelly Starrett, Paul Jaminet and many, many more. Tickets are on sale now, and early buyers who reserve their ticket by Dec 1 will be automatically entered in a contest to win access to a VIP dinner with speakers, or to have the full cost of their PaleoFX ticket refunded. For details, visit www.therealpaleofx.com.
The coffee research study is still taking applicants, a link provided on the podcast page. There are still about 30 spaces to get a free 12 oz bag of coffee if you complete the study (this link says by 11/29, but it will be the first 50 that complete the study to spec). A lot of people have signed up for and started the study, but not enough followed the instructions to get usable data. So make sure you do the two daily sessions at roughly the same time every day, and try not to miss any days. If you must skip days, make sure you don’t miss more than two sessions overall.
Listener Q & A Summary
- What is the best way to measure one’s health? What states are most important form it?
- How do you manage your information diet (magazines, academic journals, blogs and newspapers, do you read, certain habit or go by feel)?
- What do you mean when you say “training your intuition”?
- How do you retain so much information? What are your recommendations for other people to increase the amount of information they can retain? (both supplemental and through practice?)
- What about spaced repetition flash card programs like Anki and Supermemo?
- Is there a difference between rote memorization and being able to fluidly use what you memorize? What techniques work better for each type of memory?
- Any hacks for improving your hearing? Is there a difference between directional improvements or simply hearing more no matter the volume?
Questions for the Podcast?
If you have questions or comments, leave them in the comment section below.
You may also ask your questions via…
And… Don’t Forget to Leave a Ranking in iTunes 🙂