Reverse the Age of Your Brain – Dr. Daniel Amen – #444
By: Dave Asprey
Why you should listen –
If you could see that powerhouse between your ears would you take care of it. From studying the brains of concussed NFL players to telling Miley Cyrus to quit smoking pot, trusted brain health expert Dr. Daniel Amen is changing the way we look at our brains.
His new book is Memory Rescue: Supercharge Your Brain, Reverse Memory Loss, And Remember What Matters Most is sure to be a big hit, seeing as he has been on the NY Times best-seller list an incredible ten times!
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, you will learn about the same 11 risk factors Dr. Amen goes over with his clinical patients to keep BRIGHT MINDS.
Which includes dietary changes, physical and mental exercises, and spiritual practices. Leading to improved brain health, enhanced memory, and reduced likelihood of developing Alzheimer’s and other memory loss–related conditions.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript!
Links/Resources for Dr. Amen:
- Visit Dr. Amen’s Website, amenclinics.com
- Check out Dr. Amen’s new book, memoryrescue.com
- Brain Thrive
- Cool Fact of the Day: Why it is great to work with your friends! You get more done with people you know!
- Dave and Dr. Amen Discuss Fat Water
- How Dr Amen Changed Dave’s life 20 years ago by figuring out he had a bit of a hardware problem, not a moral failing.
- What is a SPECT scan and how it is a window into your blood flow to the brain.
- Why Dr. Amen created the Amen Clinics, which is a chain of clinics, which have one of the highest probably success rates for treating complex psychiatric issues.
- He’s on Bulletproof Radio today to talk about Memory Rescue, which is his new book. Memory Rescue
- Supercharge Your Brain, Reverse Memory Loss, Remember What Matters Most.
- How cellphones are masking memory problems in modern society. And how to catch it early.
- Don’t worry, you aren’t dumber than all of your friends. It could just be a blood flow problem.
- The tricks for developing the self-awareness to catch your memory slipping.
- Brain envy vs. penis envy. Why you should care about the one on your shoulders.
- Dave and Dr. Amen discuss preventing or treating the 11 major risk factors that steal your mind.
- The BRIGHT MINDS approach, the 11 factors in keeping your brain sharp.
- The perplexing combination of Hypertension and low blood flow to the brain.
- Dr. Amen explains how he discovered “100% of the people he has evaluated who have erectile dysfunction have heart dysfunction,” which means they also have brain dysfunction.
- What is the optimal blood pressure for your brain.
- Go to the Red Cross, Donate blood! It is good for your brain! Hint, it decreases your ferritin levels (iron).
- How Playing Tetris for 20 minutes a day can help you kick a habit.
- Why Dave’s brain looked like the brain of someone who was on street drugs living under a bridge.
- What are the four organs of detoxification?
- How a study from Finland showed, people who took the most saunas, had two thirds lower risk of Alzheimer’s disease. And No, hot-tubs don’t count.
- Dave and Dr. Amen discuss the app, Think Dirty
- Do you love yourself? Buy some soap that isn’t going to kill you.
- Dr, Amen’s professional goal of changing psychiatric medicine’s practice by adding imaging, “because if you don’t look, you don’t know.” “We should just stop lying about it. I belong to a profession where the emperor really does not have clothes, but should have scans.”
- Dave and Dr. Amen discuss natural ways to heal the brain.
- Nutraceuticals: what your doctor may not have learned in medical school.
- The prescription to heal the brains of NFL football players, and how Dr. Amen lead the way in studying traumatic brain injury in the NFL.
- What happens to different parts of your brain over the life cycle?
- The alphabet soup of fatty acids: EPA vs DHA and which one to take for memory.
- To eat fish, or just take a supplement.
- Dinosaur Syndrome, big body little brain. You’re going to get extinct.
- How Vitamin D helped Dr. Amen lose 30 pounds. “Because my appetite went away.”
- Should we be paying attention to old traumatic brain injuries? What should we do if we just hit ourselves in the head hard enough to cause damage?
- Why Dr. Amen thinks of brain injury as “the silent epidemic.”
- How shrimp is awesome for traumatic brain injury.
- Serving others, or extreme sports… What is easier to get into flow states?
- Flow Genome Project
- Unfair Advantage
- Irlen Syndrome
- Basic brain nutrients for traumatic brain injuries in the past. “I like basic supplements, multiple vitamin, omega-3 fatty acids, and then a brain boost. I like ginkgo, vinpocetine could say, help to support blood flow, N-acetylcysteine, acetylcarnitine”
- Brain Thrive by 25, they can get it for free, 12 weeks 24 hours. http://brainthriveby25.com/
- How Dr. Amen published a study on Marijuana and convinced his buddy Miley Cyrus to stop smoking pot.
- Memory Rescue
- Dave mentions the new Bulletproof Labs location in Santa Monica, CA
- If you like today’s episode, check us out on iTunes at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star, positive review