The Phenomenon of Your Metabolism – Siim Land – #628
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, Siim Land joins me from Estonia, a Baltic country in Eastern Europe on the southern coast of the Gulf of Finland.
He’s an author, public speaker, and coach. After a short stint in the military and earning a degree in Anthropology, he decided instead to fully commit to writing, podcasting, entrepreneurship, and coaching in the health and wellness space.He educates people about optimizing health, performance, longevity, and well-being with different biohacking techniques.
In his newest book, “Metabolic Autophagy,” Siim takes a nearly 500-page dive into the most current technology and scientific research available so you can “improve healthspan, get more things done and potentially increase life expectancy.”
“Your whole entire world is almost surrounded by the concept of metabolism,” Siim says. “The reason I added autophagy to that is also that when I was doing that research about autophagy then I realized that it’s kind of a very central component to everything else that your body goes through on a daily basis.”
We talk about autophagy, intermittent fasting, keto-adaption and much more in this episode. Siim’s perspective on biohacking is nuanced and backed by a whole lotta science. He’s done the research legwork so you don’t have to. Listen on as he gives practical tips for where to start and how to get results—all with a common-sense approach.
“I think the emphasis shouldn’t be to kick your ass all the time and do a lot of stressful activities but also actually allow your body to heal and use those things as a form of recovery,” he says.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
Facebook Group: facebook.com/groups/bodymindempowerment
Book: “Metabolic Autophagy”
- What makes Siim qualified to talk about this stuff? 00:04:50
- Just restricting calories doesn’t give you the longevity benefits 00:13:50
- Fasting and older people 00:26:40
- What is metabolic flexibility and how to get it? 00:36:00
- There are many ways to get the benefits of autophagy 01:00:45
- Bigger Ideas:
- Is interviewing someone better than reading a paper about a topic? 00:07:15
- Why intermittent fasting has a place 00:11:00
- Catabolism and anabolism 00:15:15
- Are metformin and rapamycin useful? 00:18:15
- Is Low Insulin a problem? 00:23:00
- How Bulletproof Coffee fits into autophagy 00:29:50
- Having background ketones 00:40:25
- Dave loses his train of thought 00:42:50
- Is more ketones better? 00:46:50
- Siim’s take on TrueDark glasses and blue light 01:03:05
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.