Grinding it Out, Finding Center and Heading Toward a Neon Future – Steve Aoki – #666
By: Dave Asprey
In this episode of Bulletproof Radio, I sat down (and jumped and bounced) with a global trendsetter, entrepreneur and philanthropist.
Steve Aoki is a two-time Grammy-nominated record producer, electronic musician, music executive, DJ, and filmmaker. He’s one of today’s most successful American cross-genre artists, collectively counting 1.5 billion music streams on Spotify, with an additional 2 billion music streams on YouTube.
He’s also the founder of a record label, events/lifestyle company, and apparel line called Dim Mak. Since 1996, he’s helped launch the careers of global acts like The Chainsmokers and The Kills, among many others.
His success has come through a work ethic for which he is well known. “I wouldn’t call myself a creative genius,” Steve says. “I’m a grinder. So, I grind it out. I’ll work three times as hard.”
“I look at life like that where I can achieve anything as long as I work hard,” he says. “Finding that center, I can be able to approach all these different things that I do. And whether they’re successful to other people is not what’s important to me. Whether it means something to me is what’s important.”
Another important part of Steve’s life is the Aoki Foundation that supports brain science and research with a specific focus on regenerative medicine and brain preservation.
We touch on his new memoir titled “Blue: The Color of Noise,” and talk about the ways he maintains his health and energy amid his own force-of-nature life.
Enjoy the show!
Follow Along with the Transcript
- What makes Steve a “creative genius” 00:04:45
- How hit-rate factors into success 00:08:20
- How intuition and gut feeling fits into Steve’s career 00:10:40
- The skill is “practice” 00:13:40
- The importance of being self-aware and self-critical 00:16:15
- Is there anyone you can’t work with? 00:17:25
- Steve’s affinity for the colour blue 00:20:20
- How to keep your energy up for performing 00:24:00
- Steve thinks of himself as an athlete 00:29:50
- How much of his body is Steve freezing when he dies 00:33:40
- Why did Steve write a book? 00:41:45
- Which superhero would Steve be? 00:48:00
Go check out my new book “Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever“ and also “Game Changers“, “Headstrong” and “The Bulletproof Diet” on Amazon and consider leaving a review!
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/apple and leave us a 5-star rating and a creative review.