The Lab Tests Wheat Belly Cardiologist Dr. Davis Measures to Stay Alive #546
Dr. William Davis (of Wheat Belly fame) is a graduate of the St. Louis University School of Medicine, with training in internal medicine and cardiovascular disease, and advanced training in angioplasty at the Case Western Reserve University Hospitals where he also served as Director of the Cardiovascular Fellowship and Assistant Professor of Medicine.
Dr. William Davis has built a substantial online presence on his Wheat Belly Blog with more than 28 million views since launch in September 2011. There are also substantial followings on social media, including 300,000 followers on Facebook.
More than a book, more than social media, the Wheat Belly phenomenon has proven to be a movement, growing over time and creating an audience eager for food solutions that are healthy, delicious, convenient and consistent with the Wheat Belly message.
He now focuses on preventive care and providing self-empowering strategies to the public through his books and projects.
Follow Along with the Transcript
The Book: Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, Find Your Way Back to Health
Book: Undoctored – Why Health Care Has Failed You And How You Can Become Smarter Than Your Doctor
Bulletproof Podcast #25, May 2012, “Wheat Belly”
Bulletproof Podcast #402, April 2017, “How The Health Care System Keeps You Sick & What You Can Do To Change It!”
- Dr. Davis recommends these tests:
- Advanced lipoprotein analysis – NMR – heart scan. Cost: $80-90
- Glucose and Insulin – 12 hour fasting (we want near zero, under 4).
- Hemoglobin A1C – the national average is prediabetic. 5.7 (we want 5.0 or less, in the 4’s). Cost: $100
- Vitamin D3 – 60-70ng. Cost: $50
- Advanced thyroid. Cost: $200
- How Dr. Davis dealt with early (and harsh) criticism 00:03:30
- How do you get narrowminded people to see reality? 00:07:40
- The big cholesterol misinterpretation 00:15:45
- The most common (and avoidable) causes of heart disease 00:18:20
- How hypothyroidism is linked to cardiac events 00:21:10
- Why Dr. Davis avoids endocrinologists 00:24:15
- What LPPLA2 is and why you might be interested in it 00:27:10
- The value of Fasting Insulin tests 00:33:00
- Is long-term ketosis good or bad? 00:34:20
- How we can use Hemoglobin A1C 00:39:00
- Being vigorous at 85-years-old 00:45:10
- The key to interpreting bowel flora 00:50:10
If you like today’s episode, check us out on Apple Podcasts at Bulletproof.com/iTunes and leave us a 5-star, positive review.